Hand Made Books with Ruth Brown
I’m delighted to be asked to participate in Leah's new project, Urban Studio North. This two day workshop combines my two loves, fabric and books. I discovered the joys of bookbinding a couple of years ago and am having great fun using my 20 years of textile skills in a new format. A bookaholics heaven ...
This two-day course will cover:
· Understanding how to select suitable papers, boards and fabrics for making books and how to use simple book binding tools and techniques.
· Creating a wraparound, paper covered, notebook with torn edge pages.
· Using mark making to generate content for simple books.
· Folding an accurate accordion fold book from a single sheet of decorated paper and fitting easy end covers.
· Stitching a single signature, hardback book. This will be covered in book cloth created from hand-dyed/printed fabric.
· Stitching a multiple signature, open spine hardback book using the fascinating Coptic form of binding, again covered in hand-dyed/printed book cloth.
With a maximum of 6 students you’ll get lots of one to one support, group demonstrations and detailed class notes. The class will run from 9.30am to 4.30pm each day with the studio opening at 9am.
The workshop cost is £150 payable on booking. This includes hot and cold drinks, biscuits, fruit and a simple lunch each day. Most of materials, media and equipment needed for the workshop will be provided. Students will need to bring their own fabric to convert to book cloth although some will be available to buy.
Cancellation policy: This workshop will only run if 4 or more people enrol. If there is a shortfall you will receive a full refund. And you will, of course, receive a full refund if I cancel the workshop. However please be aware that a refund will not be given in any other circumstances unless your place can be filled.